Monday, March 23, 2009

Image explanations

Since there seems to be some different interpretations on my imagery than I intended I will take a minute to explain the idea behind them.

The guinea pig image is about my food allergies, and memories of not being able to eat wheat for years after having a pet guinea pig at age five.
I was always sensitive to wheat, but at that time I was able to tolerate wheat in small amounts. My mom is allergic to all things with hair, so we could never have cats or dogs. Like any little kid I wanted a pet and I finally convinced her to buy me a guinea pig.
It wasn't more than a matter of months before I began getting terrible hives and skin irritation. It was determined that I could no longer eat wheat, and popcorn, my guinea pig must go.

I have always been allergic to dairy products, but when you add wheat to that list you're not left with many kid friendly foods. I remember being teased about what I brought in my lunch- strange looking bread, or weird yogurt. Soy products have come a long way since then. Although the imagery portrayed in "Crickets for Lunch" depicts a true incident it also represents how I felt about what I brought in my lunch. Sometimes it felt like there were literally crickets pouring out from the reactions I got from some of my "friends."

2. Since I could not have animals with hair, and I probably was not going to find a hairless cat roaming the streets I turned to less cuddly creatures like fish and toads. The image of the toad in the glass jar comes from a story of a giant toad.
I was about 11 and found a huge toad out in the county at a friends house. I ask if I could take it home and she found a canning jar for me to put it in. We literally had to jam this toad in the jar to get him to fit. It was dark by the time I got home and so I put the toad in our old fisher price turtle sandbox, so he would be safe for the night. Unfortunately he escaped and I never got to have him as a pet.

I will work on revising my images and post them ASAP

No comments: